I am a firm believer in the biblical adage: "To whom much is given, much is required". And with a God-given ability to entertain, I have been fortunate enough to not only be known, but in some instances, even admired (by millions). That is a humbling reality that I've never taken for granted. I feel that this platform could have been bestowed upon someone else, so I should use it for the betterment of humanity. Now I am in no way saying that I possess a magic wand that clears the world of its troubles. But what I do have is a voice that has been and continues to be used to draw attention to causes that I champion, like healthy living initiatives, civil rights, education, AIDS research, and famine relief. I think that once a substantive issue becomes public knowledge, it is up to each and every one of us to do our part to help implement positive change(s).
That is why I ask ALL viewers of my site, to commit to the act of volunteering. Consider feeding the homeless or donate to your local food bank; give of your time at church; or, go a step further by setting up your own non-profit organization that seeks to make a targeted difference. Even if you decide to help just one person, such as an elderly neighbor...think of how fulfilling that would be.
If we all learned to share in that sentiment, I honestly believe our world would be elevated with far more love and unity. I've supported a number of varied causes over the years. So, if you'd like a list of truly fantastic organizations who'd welcome your support, I've provided some below. And don't worry. I am not asking nor am I expecting you to reach millions. Just try reaching someone.
- 50 Million Pound Challenge
- American Red Cross
- Dorothy H. Shepard Scholarship Fund
- Dress for Success
- "Feed His People" Foundation
- Gathering Place Center for Moms and Kids With AIDS
- Giving Back Corporation
- Greater Washington Urban League
- James Stephens III Scholarship Fund
- National Congress of Black Women (NCBW)
- New Federal Theatre
- Oprah's Angel Network
- Rowell Foster Children's Positive Plan
- The K.I.S. Foundation, Inc.
- The Multi-Organ Transplant Program
- The National Coalition on Black Civic Participation
- The SIP Foundation
- The Women's International Center
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
- United Negro College Fund
- World Vision